How To Grow A Spekboom Hedge
Growing a spekboom hedge is a great way to add beauty to your property while contributing to the environment. Spekboom, also known as Portulacaria Afra, is a low-maintenance succulent plant that is native to South Africa. It is a popular choice for hedges because of its attractive appearance and its ability to absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. In this article, we will explore the steps you need to take to grow a spekboom hedge.
Choose The Right Location
Before you start planting your spekboom hedge, you need to choose the right location. Spekboom needs plenty of sunlight to thrive, so make sure the spot you choose gets at least six hours of sunlight a day. The plant also needs well-drained soil, so avoid areas that tend to get waterlogged.
Prepare The Soil
The next step is to prepare the soil. Spekboom can grow in almost any type of soil, but it prefers well-drained soil that is not too rich in nutrients. If your soil is too dense or tends to retain water, you may need to amend it with compost or sand to improve drainage.
Once you have chosen the location and prepared the soil, you are ready to start planting. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Start by digging a hole that is slightly larger than the root ball of your spekboom plant.
- Remove the plant from its container and gently loosen the roots.
- Place the plant in the hole and fill in the space around it with soil, making sure to tamp it down firmly.
- Water the plant thoroughly to settle the soil around the roots.
- Water the plant once or twice a week for the first few months to help it establish itself.
Maintaining Your Hedge
One of the great things about spekboom is that it requires very little maintenance once it is established. Here are a few tips to help you keep your spekboom hedge looking its best:
- Watering: As we mentioned earlier, you only need to water your spekboom once or twice a week to establish it. After that, the plant is very drought-tolerant and can survive on natural rainfall.
- Pruning: Spekboom does not need much pruning. You can trim back any dead or damaged branches as needed.
- Fertilizing: Spekboom does not need much fertilizer. If you feel that your plants are struggling, you can apply a small amount of balanced fertilizer in the spring.
Growing a spekboom hedge is a great way to add beauty to your property while helping the environment. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can create a beautiful, low-maintenance hedge that will thrive for years to come.