How To Make A Biltong Cake
Biltong cake is a traditional South African snack that combines two favorite culinary delights: biltong, a type of air-dried meat, and cake. It may seem like an unlikely pairing, but it's a delicious way to enjoy a tantalizing blend of savory and sweet flavors.
Before making a biltong cake, make sure you have the following ingredients:
- 500g biltong
- 350g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a round cake tin with oil or butter and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Roughly chop the biltong into small pieces and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing it.
- Serve the biltong cake warm or at room temperature with a side salad or some chutney.
If you prefer a spicier biltong cake, you can add some chopped chilies or chili powder to the batter. If you want a sweeter cake, you can add some chopped dried fruit or honey to the batter.
Be sure to use air-dried biltong for this recipe, as it adds the right texture and flavor to the cake. If you don't have biltong, you can substitute it with beef jerky.
You can also try adding some chopped onions, bell peppers or mushrooms to the cake, depending on your preferences.
Overall, making a biltong cake is a simple yet unique way to enjoy a South African delicacy. The recipe is versatile, and you can modify it to your liking, making it a perfect treat for any occasion.