If you are a Telkom mobile user, you may need to make a SIM swap when you lose your phone or your SIM card is damaged. A SIM swap is the process of replacing your current SIM card with a new one without changing your current mobile number. In this article, we'll explore step-by-step how to make a SIM swap on Telkom.
Requirements for a Telkom SIM Swap
Before you begin the process of making a Telkom SIM swap, ensure you have the following:
- A valid South African ID document or passport
- Your SIM card serial number (ICCID) - you can get this by dialling *123#
- Your Telkom mobile number
- A new Telkom SIM card
How to Make a SIM Swap on Telkom
Follow these simple steps to make a Telkom SIM swap:
Step 1 - Visit a Telkom Store
Visit a Telkom store near you with your required documents.
Step 2 - Tell the Consultant What You Need
Once you are in front of the consultant, explain that you need to make a SIM swap. Provide the consultant with your Telkom mobile number and the SIM card serial number (ICCID).
Step 3 - Verify Your Identity
The consultant will ask you to provide your South African ID document or passport to verify your identity. You will also be asked to provide your fingerprint or signature to complete the verification process.
Step 4 - Wait for the SIM Swap to be Executed
The Telkom consultant will then execute the SIM swap. The process usually takes between 2-24 hours, during which time you will not be able to use your phone.
Step 5 - Test Your New SIM Card
Once the SIM swap is complete, insert your new SIM card into your phone and switch it on. Test that the mobile data, voice calls and SMS messaging are working correctly.
Important Things to Note
When making a Telkom SIM swap, keep in mind the following:
- Ensure that you have cleared any outstanding balances on your account before making a SIM swap.
- During the SIM swap process, you will not be able to use your phone for voice, SMS or mobile data.
- It is important to keep your original SIM card until the SIM swap is complete.
- Any contacts, messages or data stored on your old SIM card will not be carried over to the new SIM card.
Remember: It is essential to protect your SIM card and mobile device. If you lose your phone or your SIM card is stolen, report the incident immediately to Telkom to prevent unauthorised use of your account.