How Many Bricks Per M2
Welcome to our article on "How many bricks per m2"! In construction, one of the most frequently asked questions is how many bricks are needed per square meter. Brickwork is one of the primary methods of constructing walls, and it is essential to determine the required quantity of bricks required for a specific wall's construction.
Factors Affecting the Number of Bricks per M2
The number of bricks required for a wall's construction depends on several factors. Some of the significant factors include:
- The size of bricks: Bricks vary in size. Some of the most common sizes include standard, queen, and king-sized bricks. Each size has different dimensions and thus has varying coverage per square meter.
- The thickness of the mortar joint: The width of the mortar joint is crucial in determining the number of bricks per square meter. A thicker mortar joint will require more bricks per square meter.
- The wall's height: The wall's height is directly proportional to the number of bricks required. For instance, a taller wall will require more bricks per square meter than a short one.
Calculating the Number of Bricks per M2
To calculate the number of bricks per square meter, you need to determine the wall's surface area that requires covering. Use the following steps to estimate the number of bricks required:
- Determine the length of the wall in meters.
- Determine the height of the wall in meters.
- Calculate the wall's surface area by multiplying the length by the height. For example, if the wall is 10 meters long and three meters high, the surface area is 30 square meters.
- Decide on a brick size and assume your preferred measurement. For instance, if you choose a king-size brick, it measures 250mmL x 75mmW x 50mmH.
- Calculate the area covered by one brick by multiplying its length by the width. In our example, the area covered by one brick is 250mm x 75mm = 0.01875 m2.
- Calculate the number of bricks per square meter by dividing the surface area by the brick's surface area. For instance, 30 square meters of wall will require 1,600 king-sized bricks (30/0.01875 = 1,600).
- It is crucial to add an extra 10% of the total number of bricks as well. This additional amount covers for any damages or breakages that may occur during construction.
- If the wall comprises window or door openings, you need to calculate their area separately and exclude it from the wall's total surface area.
In conclusion, calculating the number of bricks per square meter requires determining the surface area of the wall and choosing a brick size. Ensure to add 10% extra to the total number of bricks for breakages and damages. Calculating the number of bricks accurately for a wall is essential as it helps to minimize wastage and reduce construction costs.