How To Butterfly Prawns
Are you a seafood lover fascinated by prawns? Ever wondered how to butterfly them? Worry no more; we have got you covered! Butterflying prawns is a simple process that results in a beautiful presentation and remarkable taste.
What is Butterflying?
Butterflying prawns refers to splitting them lengthwise down the middle while still leaving the shell intact. You then open the prawn like a book or a butterfly, hence the name.
Why Butterfly Prawns?
Butterflying prawns serves several purposes. First and foremost, it makes them look more attractive, especially when presented on a plate. Secondly, it exposes the flesh to more heat, leading to more even cooking than when left unopened. Lastly, it allows flavors from marinades or seasonings to penetrate better.
The Process of Butterflying Prawns
Butterflying prawns is a simple process that only requires a few steps.
Step 1: Gather Your Equipment
Before starting, ensure you have a good pair of kitchen shears. You can also use a sharp knife if you do not have shears.
Step 2: Preparation
- Remove the prawn's head by twisting it and pulling it off.
- If they are not already, remove the prawns' legs and antennas by pulling them off.
- Starting from the head end, snip the shell open using kitchen shears. Cut through the center, reaching the tail, but do not cut through the tail.
- Gently open the prawn like a book, to spread out the two halves without detaching them completely.
- Using a knife, lift the vein that runs down the back of the body and pull it out.
- Rinse the prawns under cold water to remove any vein residue.
- Your prawn is now ready for cooking!
Step 3: Seasoning or Marinating
Now that you have butterflied the prawns, you can season or marinate them according to your preference. You can use olive oil, garlic, and lemon, or any other flavors of your choice.
Some recipes you can try include garlic butterflied prawns, honey mustard butterflied prawns, or spicy butterflied prawns.
Butterflying prawns does not require any special culinary skills, and with just a little practice, you can master the art in no time. Remember to keep the shell on to maintain the prawn's shape and ensure the best results. You can now impress your guests and family with your new culinary skill. Enjoy your delicious butterflied prawns!