How To Cook Smoked Gammon
Smoked gammon is a popular and delicious cut of meat that can be enjoyed in countless ways. It is often served around the holidays or at special events, but can be cooked and enjoyed any time of the year. This tasty meat can be roasted, boiled or baked, making it an easy and versatile option for any meal. In this article, we'll provide step-by-step instructions on how to cook smoked gammon to perfection.
Before getting started, it's important to gather all of the necessary ingredients. Here's what you'll need:
- 1 smoked gammon joint (between 3-4 lbs)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 6-8 cups of water
Step 1: Preparing the Gammon
1. Remove the gammon from its packaging and discard any labels or netting.
2. Rinse the gammon thoroughly under cold running water and pat it dry with a paper towel.
3. Use a sharp knife to score the skin in a diagonal pattern, making sure not to cut too deeply into the meat. This will help the flavor penetrate the meat during cooking.
4. Place the gammon in a large pot or Dutch oven.
Step 2: Adding the Flavorings
1. Add the chopped onions, bay leaves, crushed garlic, chopped carrots, chopped celery, black peppercorns and mustard seeds to the pot with the gammon.
2. Pour in enough water to cover the gammon and bring the mixture to a boil.
Step 3: Cooking the Gammon
1. Once the mixture is boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the gammon simmer for 2-3 hours, or until it is fully cooked.
2. During the cooking process, skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface of the water.
3. After the gammon is fully cooked, remove it from the pot and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before carving.
Step 4: Serving the Gammon
1. Once the gammon is rested, carve it into thin slices and serve immediately.
2. This delicious meat can be served on its own or paired with a variety of sides and sauces.
3. Leftover gammon can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Cooking smoked gammon is a simple and delicious way to make a meal that everyone will enjoy. By following these simple steps and using the right ingredients, you can create a flavorful and tender piece of meat that is sure to impress. So next time you're looking for a tasty and easy meal option, try cooking smoked gammon – you won't be disappointed!