Fish cakes are a delicious and easy-to-make meal that can be enjoyed any day of the week. In this article, I will show you how to make fish cakes with pilchards, a type of small, saltwater fish that is rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Step 1: Drain and Flake the Pilchards
- Step 2: Mash the Potato
- Step 3: Mix the Ingredients
- Step 4: Shape the Fish Cakes
- Step 5: Fry the Fish Cakes In a large frying pan, heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the fish cakes into the pan and fry until they are golden brown on both sides. Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
- 1 can of pilchards (in tomato sauce)
- 1 large potato, peeled and boiled until soft
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Breadcrumbs for coating
- Olive oil for frying
Step 1: Drain and Flake the Pilchards
Drain the can of pilchards and remove any bones. Using a fork, flake the fish into small pieces.
Step 2: Mash the Potato
Mash the boiled potato until it is smooth and lump-free.
Step 3: Mix the Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed potato, flaked pilchards, chopped onion, green pepper, minced garlic, dried mixed herbs, egg, flour, salt, and black pepper. Mix everything well until it is evenly distributed.
Step 4: Shape the Fish Cakes
Using your hands, shape the mixture into balls and then flatten them to make fish cakes. Coat each cake with breadcrumbs to give them a crispy texture.
Step 5: Fry the Fish Cakes
In a large frying pan, heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the fish cakes into the pan and fry until they are golden brown on both sides.
Step 6: Serve and Enjoy
Transfer the fish cakes to a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley. Serve hot with a side salad or your favorite dipping sauce.
- You can use fresh pilchards instead of canned ones. Just make sure to clean and scale them properly before flaking the fish.
- Don't overmix the ingredients, or the fish cakes may become too dense.
- If you prefer a spicy kick, you can add some chopped chillies or paprika to the mixture.
- You can also bake the fish cakes in the oven at 375°F for 25 minutes if you prefer a healthier option.
Now that you know how to make delicious fish cakes with pilchards, you can enjoy this easy, healthy, and tasty meal anytime you want. Bon appétit!