Frikkadels are a popular South African meatball dish that is typically served with mashed potatoes and gravy. These delicious and easy-to-make balls of meat can be found in almost every household in the country. In this article, we will go through a step-by-step process on how to make your own frikkadels at home. Follow the recipe and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills!
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 slices of bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beef mince, onions, soaked bread, milk, eggs, salt, and black pepper.
- Use your hands to mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Form small meatballs with the mixture, about 1-2 inches in diameter and set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish and roll each meatball in the flour, coating them evenly.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Carefully place the meatballs in the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the frying pan. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Fry the frikkadels for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are golden brown all over and cooked through.
- Remove the frikkadels from the pan with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot with mashed potatoes and gravy or your favorite side dish.
Tips for the perfect frikkadels:
- Don’t overwork the meat mixture. Use your hands gently to combine the ingredients, and avoid squishing the meat together too hard.
- Coat the frikkadels in flour. This will ensure a crispy exterior and a good sear in the hot oil.
- Use a non-stick frying pan. This will help prevent the frikkadels from sticking and allow them to cook evenly.
- Be patient when frying. Cook the frikkadels at a medium heat to ensure that they are cooked through and evenly browned all over.
Follow the steps above and you will have perfect frikkadels that will have your family and friends coming back for more! Experience the taste of South Africa right in your own kitchen with this traditional recipe.