Have you ever tasted the delicious, soft and fluffy texture of dombolo? This traditional South African dish is a favorite staple food, consumed across the country with hearty stews or soups! It is quite simple to make, and we’ve got the perfect recipe for you! The best part is that you can use self-raising flour to create the desired texture easily!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 4 cups of self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 ½ cups warm water
Don’t forget that the measurements can vary based on the number of servings you desire to prepare. To create delicious dombolo, you might utilize these steps:
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, sift the self-raising flour and add salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the butter: Rub the butter into the flour mix using your fingertips.
- Pour the water: Gradually pour the warm water into the mixture, stirring constantly. Gently combine the ingredients until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Knead the dough: Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Shape the dough: Divide the dough into small balls of equal sizes.
- Cook the dombolo: Place the small balls on a greased tray and cover with a lid or cling film. Let it rest in a warm place for about an hour for it to rise.
- Boil water: Then place a plate or bowl on top of a saucepan of boiling water to create steam.
- Steam the dombolo: Place the dough balls into the steaming dish and steamed for 15-30 minutes depending on its size. Don’t forget to keep an eye on the boiling water in case it evaporates.
- Serve: Serve hot with your favorite stew or soup, seasoned vegetables or your desired accompaniments. Enjoy your delicious dombolo!
- Dombolo can be made in small and large sizes, depending on preference.
- Don't overwork the dough, as it can affect its texture.
- Too much water or kneading will make the dough tough.
- Make sure you steam the dombolo on a low heat to avoid over-cooking or burning.
Now, you have all the information you need to create a delightful, fluffy dombolo on your own. This recipe is easy to follow, and you can make adjustments to taste based on what you’re serving dombolo with. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced cook, you can create a South African tradition that everyone will love!